A new mom-friend celebrated her birthday last week, and since I knew I'd be seeing her at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) on Thursday, I decided to whip her up a batch of Guiltless Brownies for her special day! I know she's a chocolatey chocolate girl, like me! The richer, the denser, the gooey-er, the better! It turned out that it rained like cats and dogs that Thursday morning keeping us both at home, and I didn't even get to see my friend that day. Super sad for her ;) but nice for my little family who enjoyed the delicious blueberry brownies all weekend long, and I have a new recipe to share with you! Isn't life sweet like that, when you set out to do something nice for someone else, you always end up getting blessed in return, too! (Don't worry, I'm going to make her another batch next time we get together!) :)
The day before MOPS, I was taking care of both boys and working from home, so didn't have time to run to the store. So I popped open my fridge, freezer and pantry to see what I had to work with. An abundance of blueberries!
Unfortunately, I only had frozen blueberries on hand, but they still worked fine. I prefer baking with fresh blueberries and leaving the frozen ones for our smoothies. I find frozen blueberries lose their plumpness after they thaw, burst easily and also leave a lot of moisture in the baked goodies.
I later made these brownies again with fresh blueberries, and we much preferred them that way!
The chocolate and fruit combination is so good, because the rich chocolate gets broken up by the fresh and light flavor of the fruit. // You can check out my Toasted Coconut & Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies here for another brownie with fruit recipe.
1/2 cup Coconut Oil (measured in solid state)
8 oz (approx 1 1/2 cups) Dark Chocolate chopped or chips (your preferred %)
3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
3 Large Organic Eggs
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Guiltless 7 Seed Flour
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 handful dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch (or 9x9 inch) square pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a small sauce pan on low heat, place coconut oil and 8 oz of dark chocolate. Melt together, stirring frequently.
3. Once chocolate is melted, pour into a large bowl to cool slightly. Whisk in coconut sugar.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each one. Whisk in vanilla.
5. Add Guiltless 7 Seed Flour and Sea Salt, and whisk until well combined.
6. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Transfer brownie batter to prepared baking dish, and spread evenly. Sprinkle handful chocolate chips on top of batter.
8. Bake for 40 minutes, on center rack, or until toothpick inserted into middle of brownies comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
9. Cool completely (at least 10 minutes) on a wire rack.
10. Slice into 9 large or 16 small brownies. Garnish with additional fresh blueberries, optional.
*Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days